About Our Garden
Calendar of Garden Talks
Our Garden is a public demonstration garden, built and maintained by the volunteers of the UC Master Gardener Program of Contra Costa County, featuring methods of gardening that may help you with decisions about your own home garden space.
Visiting Our Garden:
We're normally open to the public from 9:00 am to noon on Wednesdays from April through October. Come visit to wander through the garden, attend a weekly presentation, or get your questions answered.
Presentations are normally held each week, from 10:00 - 11:30 am, under the big oak tree. The Ask a Master Gardener team is available from 9 am - noon to answer gardening questions or discuss any gardening problems you may have.
2023 Garden Talks... Here They Come!
Our popular Wednesday morning talks at Our Garden started up on April 5th, and continue through October. The talks run from 10:00 am to 11:30 am. Come on out. We'd love to see you!
Here is the 2023 schedule:
- April 5 - Soil Fundamentals, Part I
- April 12 - Soil Fundamentals, Part II
- April 19 - Irrigation
- April 26 - Amending and Protecting Your Soil
- May 3 - Growing Tomatoes, Peppers, and Eggplants
- May 10 - Adding Edibles to Your Landscape - Not Just for Critters!
- May 17 - Vertebrate Pests
- May 24 Growing a Tea Garden
- May 31 - The Wonderful World of Herbs for Tea and Beyond
- June 7 - Invertebrates Pests
- June 14 - Firewise Landscaping
- June 21 - Sustainable Home Gardening
- June 28 - California Native Plants
- July 5 - NO TALK
- July 12 - Weeds
- July 19 - Comparing Composting Methods
- July 26 - The Backyard Vineyard
- August 2 - Summer Pruning of Fruit Trees
- August 9 - Cool Weather Veggie Gardening
- August 16 - Growing Blueberries and Cane Berries
- August 23 - Lawn Alternatives
- August 30 Mediterranean Plants for the Bay Area
- September 6 - Perennials in the Garden
- September 13 - Oak Trees
- September 20 - Raised Bed and Container Gardening
- September 27 - Comparative Soil for Raised Beds
- October 4 - What Went Wrong in My Veggie Garden?
- October 11 - Growing Olives
- October 18 - Grafting
- October 25 - Dry Farming
- November 1 - Citrus
- See full listing on our calendar for descriptions of these talks
Our Garden is located at the southwest corner of North Wiget Lane and Shadelands Drive, just north of Ygnacio Valley Road, in Walnut Creek, California.