About Our Garden
Our Garden is a public demonstration garden, built and maintained by the volunteers of the UC Master Gardener Program of Contra Costa County, featuring methods of gardening that may help you with decisions about your own home garden space.
Visiting Our Garden:
We're normally open to the public from 9:00 am to noon on Wednesdays from April through October. Come visit to wander through the garden, attend a weekly presentation, or get your questions answered.
Presentations are normally held each week, from 10:00 - 11:30 am, under the big oak tree. The Ask a Master Gardener team is available from 9 am - noon to answer gardening questions or discuss any gardening problems you may have.
Our Garden is located at the southwest corner of North Wiget Lane and Shadelands Drive, just north of Ygnacio Valley Road, in Walnut Creek, California.
Finding Our Garden
Garden Talks Are Back!
We're excited to announce that starting on June 16th, our popular weekly garden talks are returning. We do have to observe capacity limits and social distancing for at least a little while.
We'll also have an Ask a Master Gardener table set up, so bring your home gardening questions.
Following is our schedule of talks. All talks are on Wednesday, and run from 10 am until 11:30 am. Find descriptions for the talks HERE
- June 16: Making the Most of Your Summer Garden
- June 23: Herbal All-Stars for the Dry Garden
- June 30: Keeping Deciduous Fruit Trees Small and Manageable
- This talk will be videotaped, and possibly shared publicly on our YouTube channel.
- July 7: Critters in the Garden
- July 14: Pickling
- July 21: Permaculture
- July 28: Growing Grapes at Home
- Aug. 4: Mediterranean Plants and Climate and How to Make the Most of Both in Your Garden
- Aug. 11: Understanding Cover Crops in Your Garden
- Aug. 18: Growing Winter Vegetables at Home
- Aug. 25: Growing Succulents in Containers
- Sept. 1: Ornamental Plants for Fun, Flowers, and Fragrance
- Sept. 8: Growing Onions
- Sept. 15: Good Bug/Bad Bug
- Sept. 22: Get the Latest Buzz on Bees
- Sept. 29: Chickens
- Oct. 6: Composting - Let's Count the Ways
- Oct. 13: Planting Trees in the Garden
- Oct. 20: Growing Potatoes (Sweet Potatoes and Good Ol' Spuds)
- Oct. 27: Fall and Winter Tree Care