Dry...the New Normal: GET DRY
Did you miss the Workshop?
Check the 2016 Get Dry Workshop program page for available handouts and related information.
2016 GET DRY Workshop & Plant Sale
Our second annual Get Dry Workshop & Plant Sale was held on September 10, 2016 to help Contra Costa residents let go of that water-guzzling expanse of lawn and get a yard and garden that fits our climate.
We had (free!) sessions with ideas, techniques and tips for:
- designing with drought-tolerant plants.
- selecting drought-tolerant plant varieties.
- transforming lawns.
- optimizing water use with efficient irrigation.
- growing thriving winter vegetables.
Check the Program page for more information.
We also had experts on hand to help with specific interests, including.
- Consulting with a professional landscape designer for free.
- Visiting with a Contra Costa Water District rep to learn what programs and offers they have to encourage water conservation.
- Talking with one of the experts at the Ask a Master Gardener table about unique gardening questions and problems.
- Exploring the UC Master Gardeners demonstration garden and learning about gardening best practices.
Plants for Sale
Attendees were able to select from over 150 varieties of drought-tolerant plants, including CA natives and succulents, plus winter veggies. Drought-tolerant plants can dramatically update the look of gardens and landscapes. Workshop sessions provided great tips on making the transition to a water-conserving garden and on getting the most from new plants.
All proceeds from all our fundraisers go to support UC Master Gardener community educational outreach, including our community and school gardens programs, our Ask A Master Gardener service at Farmers' Markets, and our year-round gardening Help Desk.
Here's a complete list of ornamental plants (updated) that were available at the sale.