New Training Class, Fall-Winter 2019/20
About the 2019-2020 Volunteer Training Program
Students concentrating hard in Contra Costa's 2019 UC Master Gardener Program New Volunteer Training Class.
Time and Dates:
- October 2, 2019 to February 12, 2020 on Wednesdays from 1:00 PM to 7:00 PM.
- Classes will not be held on November 27, December 25, nor January 1.
- October 2, 2019: UC Cooperative Extension Contra Costa offices, 2380 Bisso Lane, Suite B, Concord, CA, 94520.
- October 9, 2019 through February 12, 2020: Pacheco Community Center, 5800 Pacheco Boulevard, Pacheco, CA, 94553.
- The fee is $310, to be paid at the time of acceptance to the program.
- The fee covers books, classroom materials, rent and speakers’ fees.
- A limited number of need-based scholarships are available.
- The objective is to train volunteers for the UC Master Gardener Program. After graduating, participants must meet yearly volunteer hours requirements on UC Master Gardener Program approved projects. People wanting to learn gardening skills for personal interests should visit our Growing Gardeners page.
- Participants are expected to attend every class. Topics are not repeated and build on previous classes.
- Computer skills, including email, word processing, Internet searches and navigation, are essential and required.
- Weekly reading assignments of 30-40 pages.
- Weekly research to answer typical questions that UC Master Gardener volunteers receive from the public.
- Timely completion of all home study assignments is required to certify as a UC Master Gardener Program volunteer.
- All participants must successfully pass a background check as required by the University of California.
- Live Scan is done by an outside company on the first day of class.
- A fee of approximately $20 will be paid by the trainee at the time of the Live Scan service. Cash or check only please.
Code of Conduct:
- All UC Master Gardener Volunteers must sign and agree to abide by the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Adult Volunteer Code of Conduct: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/1200.pdf
For information on how to apply to the 2019-2020 UC Master Gardener Volunteer Training Program, click here.