Here we provide useful tips on creating and maintaining a beautiful and sustainable home landscape, with special emphasis on what works well here in Contra Costa. Our most recent publication is Trees Suitable for Planting in Lawns in Contra Costa County , which we hope you will find useful. Questions about information in any of our publications can be directed to our Help Desk.
Since 2014, we've gotten more and more questions about the drought. Here are some tips pulled together by our UC Master Gardener volunteers here in Contra Costa.
Some FAQs and Contra Costa Times articles are listed below that address home landscaping questions we receive often.
- Local Frost Dates for Garden Planning
- Soil Testing
- UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars
- Wood Ashes Change Soil Chemistry
- Growing Oaks from Acorns
- Boron in Irrigation Water
- Growing Coast Redwoods
- Growing Acid Loving Plants
- Pruning Hydrangeas for Best Bloom
- Natives-Water or Not
- Lawn Thatch Buildup
- Frost Protection for Tender Plants
- Black Soldier Fly Larvae in Worm Bins
- Horticultural Oils for Insect Control
- Weeds & Weed Seeds
- Protect Plants from Sunburn
- Managing Fire Blight
- Deer in the Garden
- Managing Oxalis (Bermuda Buttercup)
- Mistletoe Infestations in Trees
- Powdery Mildew on Crape Myrtles
- Anthracnose on Sycamore
- Killer Lilies
Find out more about the UC Master Gardener Program of Contra Costa County and the educational and community outreach services we provide by visiting the top navigation links on this site.