Fall for Plants!
Fall for Plants At-A-Glance
When: September 8, 2018 from 10 am to 3 pm.
Who: all are welcome; bring your sunscreen and gardening enthusiasm!
Why: to promote & educate Contra Costa County residents on sustainable gardening practices.
Fall for Plants FAQs
- Do I need to pre-register? Not this year. Just join us and bring your family, friends, and neighbors!
- Will there be any freebies? We'll have 100s of free burlap bags to give away, useful for composting and mulching.
- Where do I park? Street parking in the area is plentiful; some disabled spaces may be available in the Center for Community Arts parking lot next door.
- Will I get thirsty? Nah...we'll have bottled water stations to help keep you cool and hydrated. Hungry? Bring a snack or head to nearby eateries.
- What about restrooms? They are available at the adjacent Center for Community Arts building.
- What plants will you have for sale? Here's a list of our ornamentals. And, a list of our vegetable varieties.
- What will plants and other items cost? Prices will range from $1.00 to $7.00. See below for more information.
- How can I pay for my plants? Cash or check only, please.
- How will I manage my purchases? If you intend to shop while at the workshop, we recommend you bring your own box. We'll provide holding areas to "park" your purchases so that you can continue attending sessions or bring your car around.
- Can you remind me? You bet! Click here to set a reminder...
2018 FALL FOR PLANTS Workshop & Plant Sale
Fall is ideal for planting! Our fourth annual (free!) Workshop & Plant Sale, Fall For Plants, will be held on September 8, 2018 from 10 am to 3 pm, and we sincerely hope you will join us for this great educational event.
The workshop will feature knowledgeable speakers throughout the day emphasizing sustainable horticultural practices designed to help you develop and refine your personal gardening skill set. Please visit our Program page for presentation details, speaker bios and available handouts.
We'll also have experts on hand to help you with your specific problems and interests.
- For advice on renovating your landscape, sign up for a 15-minute consultation at our popular Ask a Landscape Designer booth. Please be aware that slots will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis on the day of the event (no pre-registration). So that we may help as many as possible, consultations are restricted to 15 minutes long. To get the most from your consultation, come early to sign up and bring along photos and/or measured drawings of your current yard/landscape. (Click here for some instructions on creating a measured plan.) Handouts: today's Design Consultants, some Design Resources.
- Contra Costa Water District and East Bay MUD representatives will be on hand to provide information about customer rebates when you make qualifying landscape modifications.
- We'll have ongoing composting demonstrations and Q&A all day long, so if you have questions or need help, be sure to stop by the composting area.
- Of course, you'll be able to consult with one of our experts at our Ask a Master Gardener table about your unique gardening questions and problems, including pest, disease, and cultural issues.
Plants for Sale
Did you know? Fall is considered the ideal time to plant most ornamentals here in California. The soil temperature is warm but not hot, and winter rains will sustain and promote root growth into spring, giving your new plants the strongest possible start.
September is also just the right time to plant winter vegetables. They need lingering heat to get started so they will produce properly into winter.
To accompany the workshop, our UC Master Gardeners here in the Contra Costa Program are propagating a sampling of ornamental and vegetable plant varieties for you to consider. Here's a list of the ornamental varieties we'll have for sale! And, here's a list of the winter vegetable varieties available.
Prices for plants and other items will be:
- $1.00 for seed packets
- $3.00 for veggies and herbs
- $4.00 for 4" ornamentals
- $7.00 for 1 gallon plants
- $1.00 for fava bean inoculant
- $5.00 for worm castings
All proceeds from all our fundraisers go directly to support UC Master Gardener community educational outreach, including our demonstration, community and school gardens programs, our free Ask A Master Gardener service at Farmers' Markets and other venues, and our year-round gardening Help Desk.
No pre-registration this year...just come, and bring your family, friends & neighbors!